French Open day one delivers drama as Kostjuk emotional, Gea exits and Zverev advances
French Open day one in Paris: Marta Kostjuk shaken after a rocket struck near her parents’ home, Arthur Gea’s medical exit, Arthur Fils withdraws, Zverev advances.
The opening day of the French Open in Paris produced a string of dramatic and emotional moments that contrasted sharply with the routine of tournament play. Marta Kostjuk, the Ukrainian who recently won in Madrid, reached the second round but appeared visibly shaken after learning a rocket had struck near her parents’ home earlier that morning. Elsewhere on Sunday, Arthur Gea was forced into a frantic medical exit during his match, Alexander Zverev moved on in straight sets, and French prospect Arthur Fils withdrew with a recurring back problem.
Kostjuk shaken after attack near parents’ home
Marta Kostjuk won her first-round match 6-2, 6-3, but her on-court victory was overshadowed by news from Ukraine on Sunday, May 24, 2026. She told reporters she had spent part of the morning in tears after a rocket impact about 100 meters from her parents’ house and said her thoughts were with those affected.
Kostjuk, who lifted the Madrid title earlier this season, declined to turn the post-match interview into celebration and instead dedicated her result to people in Ukraine. She thanked the crowd and concluded with the rallying cry “Slava Ukrajini,” signalling her solidarity while continuing her run at Roland-Garros.
Gea’s medical emergency forces frantic exit on Suzanne-Lenglen
In the second-largest stadium, Court Suzanne-Lenglen, Frenchman Arthur Gea endured a distressing medical episode while trailing Karen Khachanov. At 1-4 with his own advantage, the 21-year-old approached umpire John Blom to report an urgent gastrointestinal issue and said he urgently needed a toilet, but the rules prevented an immediate break.
Gea finished the game under great duress, took a brief medical timeout and then exited the court in visible distress to seek treatment. He resumed but was unable to recover his level, ultimately losing 3-6, 6-7(3), 0-6, and later described the incident as one of the most difficult experiences of his fledgling career.
Zverev advances in straight sets amid season recovery
Alexander Zverev moved into round two with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 victory over Benjamin Bonzi, producing a largely controlled performance that masked some intermittent lapses. The German world No. 3 has faced a turbulent season and has worked with veteran sports doctor Hans‑Wilhelm Müller‑Wohlfahrt for recurring back issues, but he appeared composed enough to close out the match in three sets.
Zverev also participated in players’ protests earlier in the week that limited media appearances in a bid for greater prize-money shares, yet on court he focused on advancing his Grand Slam campaign. He is set to meet Tomas Machac in the second round on Wednesday, May 27, 2026, after the Czech won his opening match in straight sets.
Arthur Fils withdraws before his match with back injury
France’s highly rated Arthur Fils pulled out of the tournament on the eve of his opening match because of persistent back trouble, compounding a frustrating run for the 21-year-old. Fils had enjoyed notable results this season but has repeatedly been forced to withdraw at Grand Slams, and the latest absence extends a pattern that began after the 2025 Australian Open.
Tournament officials confirmed the withdrawal without detailing a rehabilitation timeline, and Fils’s absence represents a setback for the home crowd that had hoped to see the young Frenchman contend deep into the draw. His withdrawal underscores the thin margin between potential and physical fragility at elite level tennis.
Players limit media access in prize-money protest
The French Open opening sessions also featured an organized protest by several top players who limited their media time to 15 minutes, pressing organizers over what they described as an insufficient share of tournament revenues. The collective action came during an official media day and included a number of high-profile names supporting calls for revised prize-money distribution.
Organizers declined immediate comment on the long-term outcome of the dispute, but the gesture signalled mounting pressure from participants who argue that revenue sharing should better reflect the sport’s commercial growth. The protest added another layer to a tournament already marked by personal and public dramas.
The first day at Roland-Garros offered a reminder that Grand Slam tennis is not only about results but also about the lives players carry onto the court. From the personal trauma described by Kostjuk to the sudden medical and injury setbacks affecting French hopes, the opening rounds delivered raw, human stories alongside competitive sport. As the tournament progresses this week, those narratives will continue to intersect with the draw and the pursuit of the title.