Daniel Altmaier apologises after racket kick into crowd at Hamburg Rothenbaum
Daniel Altmaier apologises after kicking his racket into the crowd during his 2–6, 5–7 quarter-final loss to Tommy Paul at Hamburg Rothenbaum. He said the action was an emotional lapse and apologised to supporters.
Daniel Altmaier apologises after the incident
Altmaier issued a public apology following an on-court outburst in Hamburg, acknowledging that kicking his racket into the stands was unacceptable. The 27-year-old said the behaviour did not represent how he wants to act on court and offered his regrets to the fans who had come to support him.
Altmaier was warned by officials after throwing his racket to the ground and then kicking it toward spectators, where a man in the crowd intercepted the racket and returned it to the court. Tournament stewards recorded the incident and the player received an official warning during the match.
Match narrative and key moments
Altmaier exited the Hamburg quarter-final after losing to American Tommy Paul 2–6, 5–7 in a match that stretched just beyond an hour and a half. He fell behind early when he was broken in his opening service game, though he recovered to level at 2–2 before Paul took control of the set.
The second set saw both players trade chances before Paul converted the first match point he had on offer and sealed Altmaier’s elimination. The scoreline underscored Paul’s steadiness in crucial moments and Altmaier’s inability to maintain the break momentum he briefly found.
Path to the quarter-finals
Altmaier reached the last eight after a noteworthy win over world No. 6 Ben Shelton in an earlier round, a result that had raised expectations among the home crowd. That victory marked a high point in his week at Rothenbaum and set up the quarter-final matchup with Paul.
Despite the earlier scalp, Altmaier’s form in the quarter-final did not match his triumph over Shelton, and the abrupt end to his run was compounded by the disciplinary warning he received. He finished as the last remaining German in the main draw, with the other five compatriots having fallen earlier in the tournament.
Crowd reaction and official response
Spectators who witnessed the racket being kicked reacted quickly when a man caught the implement and threw it back toward the court, creating a brief moment of commotion. Altmaier later thanked the fans for their support and apologised directly to those in the stands for his conduct during the match.
Tournament officials treated the episode as a code-violation matter and applied the standard warning for unsportsmanlike conduct, a move meant to uphold player discipline and spectator safety. Organisers reiterated that spectator safety is a priority and that any further incidents of this nature would be assessed under the ATP disciplinary framework.
Looking ahead to Roland‑Garros and next steps
With Roland‑Garros beginning on Sunday, May 24, 2026, Altmaier is due to appear in the opening round against fourth seed Félix Auger‑Aliassime of Canada. The match presents a challenging assignment for Altmaier, who must shift focus from the Rothenbaum controversy to preparation for one of the sport’s biggest clay‑court events.
Auger‑Aliassime had also played in Hamburg before exiting to Aleksandar Kovacevic, and the matchup in Paris will be closely watched as both players transition from warm‑up events to Grand Slam competition. Altmaier’s immediate priority, according to his team, is to refocus training and manage the emotional fallout from the incident.
Other notable results in Hamburg
Peruvian qualifier Ignacio Buse continued his breakthrough run by defeating France’s Ugo Humbert in three sets, 6–3, 5–7, 6–3, and advancing beyond the quarter-finals. Buse’s performance was one of the standout stories of the tournament and provided a contrast to the disappointment of Altmaier’s departure.
The Hamburg event produced a mix of veteran displays and emerging talent throughout the week, with several tightly contested matches drawing large crowds and significant local interest. Organisers said they were satisfied with attendance and the competitive quality on show, even as they addressed isolated disciplinary matters.
Altmaier’s statement and closing note
Altmaier described the episode as an emotional lapse that he regretted and said he would use the experience as a learning moment. He expressed gratitude for the crowd’s support at Rothenbaum and vowed to approach the upcoming clay‑court challenge in Paris with renewed focus and professionalism.