Home SportsCuraçao coach Rutten resigns before World Cup as Advocaat poised to return

Curaçao coach Rutten resigns before World Cup as Advocaat poised to return

by Jürgen Becker
0 comments
Curaçao coach Rutten resigns before World Cup as Advocaat poised to return

Curaçao coach Fred Rutten resigns a month before World Cup opener against Germany

Curaçao coach Fred Rutten resigns amid player and sponsor protests a month before the World Cup; the federation postponed the squad announcement as Advocaat nears a possible return.

Curaçao coach Fred Rutten resigns a month before the national team’s World Cup debut, the Curaçao Football Federation (FFK) announced on Instagram on Monday. The decision follows protests from players and sponsors who reportedly urged the federation to reappoint former coach Dick Advocaat, and it comes with Curaçao scheduled to face Germany on June 14, 2026.

FFK confirms immediate resignation

Rutten stepped down with immediate effect, the FFK said, citing concerns that the current situation threatened professional relationships within the squad and the coaching staff. Rutten, 63, said he regretted the way events had unfolded but wished the team well as preparations continue.

The federation’s social-media statement framed the move as necessary to preserve team cohesion ahead of the tournament. Officials did not provide a detailed timeline for appointing a successor in that announcement.

Player and sponsor unrest behind the decision

Sources within Curaçao football circles told federation officials some players had approached FFK president Gilbert Martina requesting a change in leadership. Sponsors also expressed dissatisfaction, according to people briefed on the situation.

Rutten had taken charge for two friendly matches in March — a 0-2 loss to China and a 1-5 defeat by Australia — results that intensified scrutiny of his short tenure. Those outcomes, combined with off-field pressure, appear to have accelerated the decision for an immediate coaching change.

Dick Advocaat tipped to return as head coach

The federation indicated that a press conference is scheduled for Tuesday, May 12, 2026, at which a new appointment could be announced. Multiple reports and federation signals suggest Dick Advocaat, who led Curaçao to its first-ever World Cup qualification last year, is the likely candidate to return.

Advocaat resigned in February 2026 to care for a seriously ill family member and cited personal reasons for stepping away. The family member’s improved condition has been cited as a reason the former Netherlands and club-level coach may now be available for World Cup duties.

Historical context and age considerations

If appointed, Advocaat would be 78 years old at the tournament and would become the oldest head coach in World Cup history. He would surpass the previous record held by Otto Rehhagel, who was 72 when he coached at the 2010 World Cup.

Advocaat’s role in guiding Curaçao to their maiden World Cup appearance has been widely credited with elevating the island’s football profile. His potential return is likely to be framed by supporters as a move to restore continuity and experience ahead of the global tournament.

Impact on World Cup preparations and squad selection

The FFK announced that the final World Cup squad will not be released as planned and is now postponed indefinitely amid the coaching transition. That delay raises immediate logistical questions about training camps, tactical preparation, and integration of players identified by Rutten.

Curaçao’s group-stage schedule places them against Germany on June 14, Ecuador on June 21, and the Ivory Coast on June 25, 2026. With less than five weeks until the opening match, the federation faces a compressed timeline to finalize the roster and deliver match plans.

Federation next steps and timeline

FFK officials have indicated the federation will move quickly to stabilize the coaching position and resume preparations. The May 12 press conference is expected to clarify whether Advocaat will accept the post and to outline the revised schedule for announcing the squad and training arrangements.

The federation must also manage sponsor relations and player morale in the coming days to minimize disruption. FIFA’s administrative deadlines for final squad submissions are approaching, meaning Curaçao will need to formalize personnel decisions within the next few weeks.

Despite the upheaval, players and staff will reconvene for final preparations in the run-up to the tournament. How quickly a new coach can restore focus and implement tactical plans will be a central storyline for Curaçao in the weeks before their World Cup opener.

Curaçao now faces a rapid succession of decisions as the federation seeks to balance immediate repair of internal relationships with the practical demands of tournament readiness, while supporters await confirmation of whether Dick Advocaat will return to lead the team in Qatar.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

The Berlin Herald
Germany's voice to the World